ByteAnt gathered a team of professionals being able to scale quick as the project grew. Kanban methodology was used and continuous deployment to ensure very fast response time whenever a significant increase of development effort was required. A support team was created and also corresponding logging tools were created to debug and analyse any issues directly on a sport club computer remotely from ByteAnt’s office.
A distributed software system involving:
- A desktop application was developed using WPF with a slick design, animation and gamification of indoor sport training's.
- A web app was developed as a custom solution for sport club owners, instructors, athletes and end users of the system.
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS were developed to work with the sensors through Bluetooth.
- An API and a data storage was developed to gather the data online from multiple users.
- Two types of sensors: power sensors inside bikes to measure power in watts based on speed etc., heart rate sensors to measure human's heart rate (pulse).
The sensors are connected to PC through ANT+. It was decided to integrate ANT+ since it covers and standardizes many sensors. Also in case of sport clubs it used a hardware solution from another vendor that provided ability to use many sensors out of the box by connecting to a single hardware hub through WiFi.
The data from the HR and power sensors is collected by WPF application and is passed through Web API to website's server. All the sessions are stored in database on website's server and each user can watch his own sessions data (HR, power etc.) on the website and the mobile application. Admins can watch sessions data of different users.
Sport sensors generate a significant amount of data, like heart rate, power, GPS coordinates each small period of time (e.g. each second). Gathering such a massive amount of data in a single place and analyzing it is a big data problem.
Solution: Since the start-up required quick turn-around times, the developed software product gathered all the data in a raw binary format. The data was analysed asynchronously by additional background custom processes that generated data for end-users, instructors and admins of the system in form of graphs, maps and data tables.
From a SaaS on premise start-up that included the WPF, hardware (individual sensors) and server with a live visualization of sports activities for gyms, project has turned to a successful complex sports solution for an enterprise.